Friday, May 8, 2009

March 2009: Brothers in Arms

As of World News our neighbors are in trouble. Sepoy Mutiny breaks in Bangladesh. A country which is separated from India by only imaginary borders, a country with which we share our language Bengali is poignantly unsafe. It is the country from which my parents come. Bangladesh like India belongs to the third world though it is tacit that the rate of progress is slower there than here. I see a poised brotherhood in terms of penury and more. My parents flew away from Bangladesh when they were young. I have failed to fathom the cause behind the tranquility in their behavior as news of deaths hit the newspapers. If I ever leave India, I wonder if news of political turmoil, mass killings et cetera in India would spare me equally unscathed. The idea gives me a demoniacal feeling.

No comments: